Recipe: Coffee Break

by Hayley Mcavoy

Alice Lin / Daily Bruin
Espresso: The base of most coffee drinks. Espresso is an Italian-based drink, often drunk after meals to aid digestion. It’s made by forcing boiling water and steam through finely ground coffee, making it highly concentrated. One shot of espresso is approximately one fluid ounce, but it can be served as a double or triple.

Alice Lin / Daily Bruin
Caffè Americano: This translates to “American coffee.” Its origin isn’t clear, but a popular theory is that American soldiers would water down their espresso in Italy during World War II, mimicking the drip coffee that they were used to. Strength can vary depending on the amount of espresso and hot water added.

Alice Lin / Daily Bruin
Cappuccino: Originating in Italy, the traditional preparation calls for a 1-to-1-to-1 ratio of espresso, milk and foam, though there are an infinite number of variations. In Italy, cappuccinos are only consumed up until 11 a.m. – it’s considered odd to consume them any hour beyond that. Wet or light cappuccino refers to more hot milk and less foam. Dry or dark cappuccino refers to less hot milk and more foam.

Alice Lin / Daily Bruin
Caffè latte: This translates to “coffee milk” and is comprised of just that: hot milk and espresso. It’s similar to a cappuccino, but with more milk and less foam. Oftentimes, especially in the U.S., various sweeteners and flavorings are added. A common variation is the chai latte, which is made by replacing the espresso with masala chai – an Indian spiced tea.

Alice Lin / Daily Bruin
Caffè macchiato: In Italian, macchiato translates to “stained,” which makes “stained coffee” the literal meaning of the drink. It’s a shot of espresso with a spot of milk. A typical Italian caffè macchiato also includes a dot of foam. One variation is the latte macchiato, which emphasizes the milk instead of the coffee – making the translation "stained milk." The latte macchiato is made of steamed milk with a spot of espresso.

Flat white: Originating in Australia, this drink is prepared by pouring steamed milk with a velvety consistency over a double shot of espresso. It’s similar to a cappuccino or a latte but with less foam and a smaller size, creating a higher concentration of espresso relative to milk.

Cortado: Coming from the Spanish word "cortar," meaning “cut,” cortado is a shot of espresso cut with warm milk. In San Francisco, it's also known as the Gibraltar. It’s similar to a macchiato, but it generally has a ratio between 1-to-1 and 1-to-2 of espresso and milk.

Mocha: Also called mochaccino, mocha is quite simply a chocolate-flavored variation of the caffè latte. Its most basic recipe involves hot chocolate and a shot of espresso. Like a cappuccino, mocha is topped with foam. One variation is the zebra mocha, which includes white chocolate.

Alice Lin / Daily Bruin
Café au lait: The translation from French is “coffee with milk.” It is simply a dark roast coffee with hot milk added. In France, café au lait is traditionally served in bowls and often accompanied by "beignets" – a French pastry covered in powdered sugar.

Alice Lin / Daily Bruin
Frappé: Although the drink originated in Greece, frappé comes from the French term “frapper,” meaning “hit.” However, in context, the name means “chilled,” referring to how a frappé is prepared. It’s made by combining instant coffee, sugar, water, milk and ice cubes in a cocktail shaker. The drink became popular among Greek youth and has since spread to other countries.

Alice Lin / Daily Bruin
Affogato: A coffee-based dessert, originating in Italy. In Italian, affogato means “drowned,” referring to the gelato (or ice cream) that is drowned in espresso. Variations of this dessert can include shots of various liqueurs – especially amaretto.