Cars honking, loud chatter, unexpected sights and smells. Downtown Los Angeles is much more than a crowded place full of cars – it is a hub made up of one of the most diverse populations in California. Walking through the streets, you might stumble upon enthusiastic photographers, aspiring artists and, of course, the occasional tourist making their way through the streets. Filled with restaurants, cafes, street vendors and markets around every corner, downtown Los Angeles is an easy place for newcomers and native Angelenos to find home.

Moving around downtown Los Angeles can be tough with a car due to Los Angeles’ reputation as "the city of traffic." Unless you are willing to pay $10-15 for parking, the solution is Metro – the LA urban rail system. Although the transportation system in Los Angeles is still expanding, taking the subway is necessary in order to become fully immersed in the downtown experience. Union Station, historically the largest railroad terminal in the West, is the gateway to Los Angeles. Union Station is also a stage for daydreamers and lovers of people-watching. Musicians and artists are constantly performing at some corner of the station, providing a delightful experience of free music and performances for passersby.

See

Responsive image

Grand Park

“Under construction” were two words that I would read every day as I bussed from downtown Los Angeles to my high school in Highland Park. After great anticipation, construction on Grand Park was finally completed July 26, 2012. Grand Park is a cascade of concrete and grass that begins at the top of Bunker Hill and ends at City Hall. It is a recreational space for all Angelenos who seek rest from the concrete jungle. Walking through the 12 acres, I remember falling in love with the pink tables and benches, the open space, the sweet pastel signs and the stunning view of the Los Angeles City Hall. Even after almost four years, Grand Park offers a space to breathe and enjoy the scenery in the otherwise crowded and loud city.

Responsive image

Angels Flight

To navigate the different areas of downtown Los Angeles, take a Metro train and get off on any stop between Union Station and Seventh Street. Walk into Bunker Hill, and you will encounter two blocks of touristy things to do and artistic things to see. Within Bunker Hill, The Broad, a new contemporary art museum, as well as the timeless Museum of Contemporary Art and the Walt Disney Concert Hall create an ideal place to unwind. Just across the street, visit the historic Angels Flight, known as the shortest railway track in the world at 298 feet, and walk up the steps beside it to reach California Plaza.

Responsive image

California Plaza

A favored location for many Angelenos, California Plaza presents a memorable experience both during the day and at night. During the day, California Plaza offers a serene hangout spot with its water court displaying a mini waterfall adorned with islands of flowers. Enclosed by the nearby skyscrapers One California Plaza and Two California Plaza, the edge of the plaza renders a stunning outlook of City Hall and a part of the greater downtown area. At night and especially during summer, Grand Performances, a performing arts group, offers free outdoor performances by local and international artists. Essentially, California Plaza is the perfect getaway with friends or a significant other.

Responsive image

The Last Bookstore

In addition to outdoor sights and performances, downtown Los Angeles caters to fans of the indoors. The Last Bookstore offers a wide selection of books, vintage records and art pieces. With a labyrinth just above the bookstore, coming across peculiar books and magazines is common. The dim lighting, warm, rustic feel to the shelves, high ceilings and reading area right in the middle of the bookstore create a cozy atmosphere that fosters a great reading experience. Offering fair prices for classic vintage records and art pieces created by local artists, the Last Bookstore also hosts galleries, lectures and quirky events for fans of music and literature. If you are looking to relax, explore, lose yourself in stacks of books and indulge your artistic side, the Last Bookstore is the perfect place.

Responsive image

Bradbury Building

The combination of 19th-century building facades and spotless modern interiors make buildings in Los Angeles unique. For instance, just across from the Grand Central Market, the Bradbury Building looks ordinary from the outside, but its history and interior decor are rich. Known for being the oldest commercial building in LA, the Bradbury Building has a beautiful, dazzling interior court lit by natural lighting from the glass roof. Exquisite ornate rails as well as fiery-colored floors and walls surround all the balconies when you look up. Reminiscent of a birdcage, the inside of the Bradbury Building has an industrial feel to it. It is not only perfect for pictures, but also a timeless work of art.

Do

Responsive image

Santee Alley

“Pásele, pásele, tenemos buenos precios para usted” (come on in, come on in, we have great deals for you) are words you will hear from vendors while walking through Santee Alley. Also known as Los Callejones, Santee Alley is the place to find bargains. Stroll down 11th Street, deeper into downtown Los Angeles, to discover a thrifty alternative to shopping malls. People swarm the small alleys, passing by countless shops selling almost everything imaginable. Crowds of people eating “antojitos” (snacks) such as churros, mangonadas, diablitos, cueritos and delicious pastries, look for their next acquisition. Sellers lavishly flatter passersby in hopes of catching a sale. Los Callejones is one of the most vibrant and lively sectors of downtown Los Angeles, making it perfect for some afternoon shopping.

Responsive image

Olvera Street

“It feels like home,” I remember my mom saying as we went through Olvera Street, or Placita Olvera, after getting off at Union Station. Olvera Street is an iconic little street that transports you to the little classic "pueblito" (ranch) where the air smells like "tierra mojada" (wet dirt), the sun glares on the handmade leather "chanclas" (sandals) and classic romantic melodies play in the distance. Aside from hosting colorful curiosities such as the Mayan Calendar or Dia de los Muertos skulls, Placita Olvera also entertains its visitors with traditional performances. With its vibrant colors, classic Mexican decorations, mariachis playing inside restaurants and a spirited crowd of people, Placita Olvera is a bubble of rich culture and bliss.

Eat

Responsive image

Daily Dose Cafe

If you are looking for an escape, Daily Dose Cafe is a great little hideout near the outskirts of downtown Los Angeles. This farm-to-table restaurant uses locally grown ingredients to cook its meals. Hidden within an alley, it offers a sweet, serene atmosphere with a neatly decorated patio. Daily Dose caters to an exceptional individual experience, with its small ordering counter, simple menu and all-gender restroom. With classic breakfast choices and lunch sandwiches, Daily Dose provides a hideaway from the busy streets of Los Angeles. Sandwiches such as the “Mike the Mechanic” or the “Jive Turkey” are accompanied by a salad or vegetable soup of the day. Aside from decent food, Daily Dose will also offer live drawing classes every Monday beginning in March and throughout the rest of the year. With great service, hot coffee and a beautiful location, Daily Dose is a hidden gem.

Responsive image

Sultan Chicken

Make your way deeper into downtown, passing Pershing Square, and you will be at the heart of downtown Los Angeles. Walking through the delightfully grubby streets, small and authentic restaurants such as Sultan Chicken can be found. Simple, delicious and inexpensive are the perfect words to describe this disguised eatery in downtown Los Angeles. Located on Sixth Street and Broadway, Sultan Chicken serves flavorful Mediterranean cuisine at a great price. Order classic takeout with chicken or beef kabobs, rice, hummus, pita and a small side salad to enjoy a delightful meal. If you are vegetarian, the menu also has plates to cater to your preferences. A small, family-owned restaurant, Sultan Chicken's affordable options and fast service will keep this place in your favorites list.

Responsive image

Grand Central Market

Not in the mood for Mediterranean food? If you are feeling ambitious, wander into Grand Central Market. Under this one roof, you will find fresh produce as well as a plethora of street-style restaurants offering finger-licking options for all tastes. Grand Central Market is possibly one of the most vivacious places in downtown Los Angeles.

Unlike a typical restaurant in the downtown area, Grand Central Market has both open and over-the-counter seating, and hosts various vendors such as Sarita's Pupuseria, Tacos Tumbras a Tomas and Valerie at Grand Central Market, to name a few. When ordering pupusas at Sarita’s, order a classic bean pupusa with cheese or any other filling – there are vegan options available. Make sure to add a lot of curtido (lightly fermented cabbage, onions and carrots) and some light salsa to give it some flavor and additional moisture. On the side, munch on plantains – add some lime, and you won’t regret it.

At Tacos Tumbras a Tomas, a chicken tostada with pinto beans, lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, cheese and sour cream can turn out to be a delectable challenge to finish. The flavors of all the condiments and ingredients combine into a delicious mouthful – slightly messy yet visually pleasing. Complement your tostada with some agua fresca – horchata is my favorite.

Don’t forget about dessert – wander by Valerie, a gourmet chocolate, cake and catering shop. Enjoy the traditional petits fours (a small layered cake covered in chocolate with ganache in between each layer) in rose petal, lavender and champagne flavors. Although small, every bite is an explosion of flavor. Use these little desserts as the cherry on top to your visit to Grand Central Market.

Because Grand Central Market is always changing and adding new restaurants, this destination requires multiple visits. Expand your taste buds with ever-changing options that range from tacos and hamburgers, to sushi and vegan dishes.